What’s the most accurate predictor of academic achievement? It’s not socioeconomic status, nor how prestigious the school is that a child attends. The best predictor of student success is the extent to which families encourage learning at home and involve themselves in their child’s education.
When parents are engaged in their children’s school lives, students have the home support and knowledge they need to not only finish their assignments, but also develop a lifelong love of learning.
Teachers who focus on parent engagement often see a profound change in their classrooms. The more parents involved in their children’s education, the better their entire class’s motivation, behavior, and grades become.
Momai Global School, Mira Road Always tries to encourage parent engagement more than common courtesy. It’s one of the best ways to create a positive learning environment for every student. To create a community built on parent-teacher relationships in your school, find out what parent engagement is and how to nurture it.
WHY IS PARENT INVOLVEMENT IMPORTANT?
Parental involvement and engagement in education matters now more than ever because it’s in decline. In 2016, research showed a drop in parents who believe that intimate parent-teacher communication is effective. Parents now prefer remote methods of communication, like online student portals, and they are less likely to attend parent-teacher conferences or school activities. This shift is sudden and concerning due to what it means for parent engagement. While digital tools can help families stay informed, students are missing out when parents don’t offer their time and support.
Parent involvement in schools is the first step to parent engagement and, ultimately, parent partnership. When parents and teachers work together to establish a thriving classroom, the effect on their students is profound. Students with engaged parents don’t just have high test scores: their attendance, self-esteem, and graduation rate rise, too. Parent-teacher relationships are more than an optional classroom benefit. They are key for helping students on a personal and classroom level reach their academic potential.
Children with engaged parents are more likely to:
- Earn higher grades or test scores
- Graduate from high school and attend post-secondary education
- Develop self-confidence and motivation in the classroom
- Have better social skills and classroom behavior
They are also less likely to:
- Have low self-esteem
- Need redirection in the classroom
- Develop behavioral issues
Following are some of the ways by which parents can be involved with their children.
- Parents are requested to ensure that the students bring their lunch box to the School. In the interest of security, lunch packets sent later will not be accepted.
- Keep your child at home if she/he is suffering from contagious diseases like mumps, measles, chicken pox, whooping cough, conjunctivitis (sore eyes). After recuperation parents may send their childs to school only with a doctor's fitness certificate.
- Make the necessary arrangements for the students to stay back after school hours to participate in pta, sports and co-curricular activities whenever required.
- Discourage your childs to drive motorized vehicles to the school which is not permitted by law.
- Make your childs aware not to use unfair means during tests/exams. Such improper conduct leads to severe penalties.
- Parents must refrain from giving gifts to teachers on any occasion.
- Parents are requested to inform school authorities if there is change in their address or contact numbers.
- Parents are requested not to enter the classroom either to see meet children or to meet teachers during school hours.
- It is always advisable to write to the school about the problems of your child or for seeking guidance. Whenever you write to the school about your child, always quote his/her full name class, section and admission number.
- Parents are requested to cooperate with the school in its attempt to help their child's progress by paying attention to regularity, punctuality and discipline and by taking interest in their child's work.
- Parents should check the diary everyday for the homework and any other instruction given and acknowledge the same by signing the space meant for the same. They are advised to check the bags of their childs to see if any notice, invitation etc. has been issued.
- Any communication made by the parents should be addressed to the Principal and not to the class teacher and all correspondence from the parents to the school must go through the Principal.
- Kindly do not send money with the student unless instructed by the school.
An external memo may be issued for an act of indiscipline and record shall be maintained in the dossier.
- Students against whom disciplinary action may have been taken will not be allowed to attend the school.
- Students are not allowed to bring idols, crackers, colors, I-pods, cell phones, cameras, to the school. If found, the same will be confiscated by the school authorities. The school is not accountable for the loss of any expensive items brought by any student.